Hall Place

Another vanished house

By Gerard McSweeney

This long-demolished building stood north of St Peter’s Church on the east side of the street. The name is perpetuated in that of another on the same site and in the adjoining road, Hall Place Gardens. In 1903, a lecture by C. H. Ashdown and a series of letters in the Herts Advertiser contained various somewhat ill-founded speculations regarding the date and form of the house as it then stood. Now, from a series of photographs taken shortly before demolition, of which two examples are shown below, J.T.Smith has been able to trace the development of the building from ca.1500 to the 1890s.  This account has been published by the Society (1).

Several accounts of the First Battle of St Albans (1455) state that Henry VI stayed at Hall Place before the battle and was taken there after being wounded. That neither of these statements can be substantiated has been dealt with in another publication (2).

(1) J.T.Smith, Hertfordshire Archaeology and History, Vol. 14, (2004-5), pp. 89-99.

(2) G.P.McSweeney, Herts Past and Present, Publ. HALH, Issue 6, (Autumn 2005), pp, 12-15

Photo:Hall Place from N.E. c.1904

Hall Place from N.E. c.1904

Photo St Albans Museums

Photo:Hall Place, King Post

Hall Place, King Post

Photo St Albans Museums

This page was added by Gerard McSweeney on 02/12/2009.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.